blackout

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The First Rule to Fiction (And Maybe Our Entire Existance)

Human kind can not gain something without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost



(sidenote: that i just thought of: how do you give something in return? if its returned shouldnt it be given first?)
Anyway, the title might be a stretch but this is a quote from Fullmetal Alchemist. A tv show. Yes I said that correctly.

my first thought process on this however didn't hit that thought. I looked at it as a way it could possibly be applied to life as we know it. I originally thought that this quote was a lie. Sure its part of a tv show and thus isn't supposed to answer life questions, but let's be honest... It's fun looking for answers in unprobable locations.

so... I disagreed. I can gain love without giving it. I can better my life without worsening another. I can gain knowledge without losing another kind. This seemed stupid.

And I think it really hit me hard when it said "lost".
But... as my roommate said, to build a house you have to lose some trees.



Then I started playing devil's advocate with myself. If you reread it now and think of Newton's 3rd law (I believe), which states that "every action causes a equal and opposite reaction" then it makes sense in the physical world. But still doesn't seem to hold water outside the realm of solid life.

Let's look at it again though, this time religiously. When it comes to Christianity, Jesus had to die for us to love. And when it comes to Buddhism, this question is about the balance of the universe a lot like yin and yang. So how wrong can it be?


Interesting, so my conclusion is as follows. I do, in fact, agree (and like) this rule (as I have been told to call it) becuase it shows the combined forces of the universe working together. it takes oneself outside the world that they live in and they have to view it as a whole. A scary thought for the land of materialism and power.

So, I can see (and would almost like) to live by this motto. Because it can stand for so much more than just a fictional reality someone created. It can stand for a way of life, a thought process, and a way to break yourself into the thoughts of the world around you.

It can electrify your mind and create a mind blowing debate that you can have with those around you.

And that is what thinking is about, its a way to stop taking your world for granted and start questioning why. You might find out more than you thought possible. You might find out more about yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I was just writing about this in my diary a couple weeks ago because I felt it to be true in my life and in viewing others. I think everything you do has an impact, and I do believe Newtons law does apply not only to the material world but also the spirutual one. Like if you give good to the universe, the universe will give back to you. Its almost like wiccan, they believe whatever energy you give out, you will get back threefold (The law of return) and you will get it no matter if it is good or bad. So that's a great motto to live by, I try to do it as much as I can.. by doing good things of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Challen! I totally didn't read this til now!

    ReplyDelete