blackout

Monday, February 17, 2014

Don't have a conversation

What an interesting concept!

So I went to my first Love and Logic seminar and I was told a lot of interesting ideas that could make sense (that I, personally, can't wait to try) and I think should be taught to every parent but I found them so interesting on a teacher standpoint.

One of the points that stood out as the most shocking is NOT to talk about why the kiddo got into trouble, what to look from here. Just be empathic. You don't talk to your pup when he does something wrong and ask him to explain himself, you just reprimand him (I use timeouts) and then you love them after that all the same as always. You don't hold grudges, you just go with it. And you show them how much you still care about them.

My "discipline" technique goes like this:
A) Try to think of every way you have seen the kiddos screw up and think of every way they have in the past pick 3 of them and remind them not to do those.
B) If they are caught doing them do the 1-2-3 count
C) Try to redirect them with other toys, objects or ideas
D) If none of that works, time-out
E) Have a conversation leading out of timeout (normally with a hug, high five or hand shake). We talk about what they did, why they did it, what they could do better next time and what my expectations are.
If things escalate from there we can call mom, if it seems out of control.

This class has taught me to ignore E all together basically. To give them a hug, tell them you believe they will do better next time and drop it. Maybe they are right, maybe my conversations are too long and look like an added version of punishment, also I know some kiddos spoon feed me lines because they know what I like to see from them and how they consistently get in trouble.

I am interesting in trying this new technique and seeing how my kiddos respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment