blackout

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Breakthrough moment

Ah-Hah moments are just a precious piece in time where teachers can actually see the students grasping something new and exciting. The way the students faces light up and eat the information in front of them is just awe-inspiring.

As a teacher those are the moments I crave. I love when students finally understand something and begin to think critically about something in a brand new way.

As a student, I had my very own Ah-Hah moment in my ESL class. I am currently learning about the SIOP model and trying to get my head around it. There is a lot more work for learning this model then for some of the models I have used in the past. I can see the benefits to this model already and one big Ah-Hah moment made it all the better.

The SIOP model is meant to help CLD (ESL) students grasp the lessons a bit easier, it helps teachers think about langauge as its own category and work specifically with differentiation. But my big Ah-Hah moment isn't just to tell my students the lesson and spend extra time learning about it. But with the now minimally 4 objectives (2 content, 2 language) we should be sharing them with the students. That way the students will know exactly what they are learning, exactly what will be on the test and exactly what is expected of them. There will be no need to worry about the rest and the students' confidence should skyrocket.

I can't wait to start doing this even in my preschool classroom. I expect to see results instantly! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment