blackout

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Oh Dear Mister Puppeteer

Oh Dear Mister Puppeteer

Can't you see that I
Am playing the role of the mime
Monkey see and monkey do.
Isn't this how this puppet acts?
After all I am a model built after you.
As long as I follow your every direction
And breathe when you tell me to.
I can survive a day in the life
Of this fictitious fairytale
As long as I follow the movement
That you have set before me
And lean whenever those
Ropes pull that way.
I can be your prized possession
And let you play the games
That are only in your mind.

Ah but as I wait for the sun to set
I can dream of a world where
I am not wound up so tight
To the control box in the air
Where the movements I make
Become my own, Mister Puppeteer.
The air I breathe is meant for only me
Oh how I had longed before
To twirl as the princess
Did on her musical stand
Or twist as I heard the record play
That love abiding song
But I always knew I was,
The cherished and the doomed,
And would always be the puppet
To my puppeteer

But as you close your naïve little eyes
I take off these shackle-like strings
And learn what it is like
To walk to my own beat
You wouldn’t believe the joy I get
To sway when I do choose
What it can possibly be like for me
To gracefully stumble as I dance
I’m on a cloud, they say,
Following a rhythm
That I never would have known.
Do you know what is like
To realize your destiny?
That dancing among the stars
Is as possible as it can be.
That I can learn all the tricks you do
Without those wicked yarn handcuffs

But I know better
Than to leave a puppeteer
Without his marionette
Before daylight breaks the sky
I turn the record off
And slip back into those
Ludicrous threaded chains
Falling limp as any puppet would
Once again playing the game of
Monkey see and monkey do
I stay the picture perfect dummy
To my Dear Mister Puppeteer
The only problem that I do face
Is that the master of this puppet
Would never know how flawlessly
I always look when I dance

No comments:

Post a Comment