blackout

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pick the Picture

The hardest part about living here is probably the food. Not so much eating it, there hasn't been much I don't like. But it is ordering it. Because I don't know Japanese, I can't order off their written menus AND know what is in it.


Sometimes there are English menus to look at. But normally they say "steak" or something very simplistic. It doesn't really define everything in the meal, maybe the overall idea though. Subway had some examples of that:


So you have to look at pictures and order something that MIGHT look good. For the most part that is easy. You want chicken, find something that looks like chicken and order it (praying that it is chicken). You want a steak (they have hamburger steak. AKA a hamburger without the bun) but it's there and ready to order.


(Also word to the wise, and I think I already mentioned this. But if it says "meat" don't get it. It is about the equivalent to whatever it is we put in hotdogs.)


Other times it is a disaster. This weekend the guys and I went to Pepper Jack. They raved about the food. I saw the pictures and was confused. It LOOKED like everything wasn't cooked. How am I supposed to decide what to eat if the pictures aren't cooked all the way. So I randomly choose one, praying for the best.


When my order was ready, I had a sizzling skillet on a tray. And, as you may have guessed, my food wasn't cooked (all the way). They gave me tongs and I had to flip the food myself and PRAY that it was done cooking by the time the skillet cooled off. (I am not entirely sure it was).




It was an interesting idea in theory. But I don't think I will EVER eat there again. I don't like seeing blood before I eat. and with all my other foods for that matter. I personally, thought it was too peppery (should have known I guess. The place was called Pepper Jacks) and the food cost like 10 bucks for something that I had to cook myself. That hardly seems fair. 


But that was the worst food I've had in the last month. (Can you believe it? I have been here a month!) I have gotten chicken, and steak and rice concoctions and indian food. I have eaten fake Italian food and ramen. And they were all excellent and I would go back in a heartbeat. Just no more uncooked foods... Okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment