blackout

Friday, July 13, 2012

NewsFlash: There are forks in Japan.


Everyone seems to be so wrapped up in our visions of Japan. Chopsticks, everyone is small, they all look the same. I find it interesting because being over here, I have something to tell you, we have it all wrong.

I have eaten at probably 15 different restaurants in 3 weeks and I have used chopsticks twice... in 3 weeks. (Well... I used it at home twice while eating but that was just b/c i wanted to.) Twice.

And I don't feel like a giant here. I mean, I don't feel small or average either but I feel like it's not much different than America. Some people are tall, some are average, some are small. I think part of the reason I don't feel short is because all the women here wear six inch heels all the time. They walk so funny. It's kind of disappointing.

As for them all looking the same, I don't see that either. You can definitely tell the differences when you are surrounded by them.

I guess what I am trying to say this is probably why culture shock hasn't really affected me. These reasons and more just show how "Westernized" the culture is and how much we make up all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment