blackout

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Not So Secret Garden

Our Hotel
Random Ferris Wheel

Tokyo was an amazing adventure to embark on. We only stayed in Tokyo for a total of 46 hours and I can tell you it wasn't even close to enough to explore Shinjuku let alone all of Tokyo. (For those of you that don't know: Shinjuku is a small town inside of Tokyo much like Wrigleyville is inside of Chicago). We stayed in Shinjuku, the whole time. The first night, I was exhausted. We took pictures along the way to our hotel. We saw beautiful buildings and even a ferris wheel. We dropped off our bags and headed out for dinner. I had Curry Shrimp and Rice. I won't lie and say I wasn't a bit hesitant. I am someone who is pretty set in their ways. But I made up my mind months ago that this would be the time I try it all. So I followed Mike blindly into the restaurant.

Japanese Menu
In Japan you always seat yourself unless you are basically stopped to do so. We sat down and looked at the menu. Nothing was in English. What I have come to find out that at least in Tokyo there is normally an English menu stashed somewhere. It might only say "Shrimp" instead of Curry Shrimp and Rice. So... Use your judgement. But it helps you know what kind of meat is in it. Also: Word to the Wise: If it just says "Meat" my guess would be to run! Mike and I caught up over the last few days and talked about what to do in Tokyo the following day. 

We ate our meal when it arrived. I enjoyed mine. It was breaded shrimp and the curry was off to the side so you loaded it on as much as you wanted instead of everything being smothered in it. After the long day we had of travels we went to sleep. 

City at Night
The next morning we were up by 6am. We decided to get ready, head out for breakfast. (We decided to stay easy and went to McDonalds). It is bad manners to eat and walk in Japan so we ate in McDonalds and then headed out to the Garden.

Healthy McDonalds is a Happy McDonalds

Shinjuku Gyoen: The National Garden
It is the Central Park of Tokyo. But as Tokyo is bigger than New York City, this Garden is bigger than Central Park. 


We didn't pick the BEST time of year to come. The flowers were on their last legs, the cherry blossoms had blossomed long ago. But it was still an incredible scene. It is the secret garden of Tokyo. It cost 2 dollars to get in and is about 3 miles wide. It is stunning. The tea houses were quaint. The shrines were stunning and the scenery was breathtaking. It was picturesque. We walked around for hours. Talking, and exploring and taking everything in. We found giant bugs, beautiful pathways, and an experience of a lifetime. 

Here are some more photos from Tokyo's Not So Secret Garden. I'll post more soon!






Tree Stars!




No comments:

Post a Comment