blackout

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Military Time?

The title is leading you on. This really won't talk about military time at all. But I think its a good metaphor for what is going on. I am going to get immersed in two cultures fairly soon and I have to learn a lot about how to act and react in both of them.

I decided to prep for my new life a bit lately. I already took a beginner class on Japanese (and really am just waiting for Rosetta Stone). So I decided to read a book called Confessions of a Military Wife. NOT that I am thinking that far ahead but knowing I am quickly going to be joining a new military community and I will need to know what status quo is. Because, quite frankly, if I have learned anything from Mike, it is that I have no idea what is being said, done or accomplished in the Navy. They have their own language, their own types of friends and their own world.

Somehow I am going to have to fit in with both to merge this correctly.

The book mainly focused on deployments. The author was a Marine wife so deployments mean the men battled for their lives often. I guess I find it interesting, because even without that fear being as bad as it is for those wives, I went through a lot of the same coping mechanisms to get through long distance. The way you rely on the right people at the right time. You can't turn to them when you are down, you can't explain the every movement, or every idea you get. You are on your own. You learn to be as independent and dependent as possible.

Maybe this whole long distance thing amped me up for Military life more than I thought.

I have the amazing chance to learn about two cultures at the same time and I want to document them both and all the stories that unfold and the lessons I learn. Because if I want to make this work how its supposed to, I need to learn how to blend into this environment and how to mold into a culture on the other side of the world as well as become a cheerleader on the sidelines for the men supporting the red, white and blue.

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step -Lao Tzu said, and I am ready to make that step even if it involves looking at a new watch.

 ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment