blackout

Monday, January 27, 2014

Mid-Year Parent Teacher Conferences

I love parent teacher conferences at the preschool level. There is less pressure and a better chance to set up things for the parents and having parents listen to you not just fight you.

I either have completely wonderful parents this year or I have done a remarkable job doing what is right for the students this year. My low students, parents want support. My high students want ways to continue. When parents are looking for the educational benefits and when parents are invested it makes a world of difference for the teachers.

I was able to set up a free screening for development at my school in February so when I approached parent teacher conferences this week I was able to say that I am not a professional but I have the professionals coming to help and parents can use this opportunity for free and without hassle!

I was able to offer my help for providing games that parents can play with their students that encourage learning and questions to ask their students. I was able to motivate some parents and calm others down. I was able to answer any questions and have a relationship with these parents instead of an introduction.

And for all these parents, this is the first time we have had a sit down conversation about their learning, about what they would like to see and about what we bring to the table. It has been a remarkable (albeit exhausting week).

What works well at your parent teacher conferences? Would you ever consider doing one midyear? Would it be any different at your school?

No comments:

Post a Comment